We all experience stress at some point, but did you know the lasting effects it can have on your skin? Stress can have a massive influence on your appearance. Not only does stress affect your skin, but it also affects your brain and body. In your body, hormones are brought to your skin by tiny blood vessels; these hormones are vital to keep your skin healthy. Hormones get triggered by stress which can cause your hormones to slow down. This leads to your skin not regenerating as quickly as it should, and could leave your skin feeling more sensitive. Below we have listed 7 affects stress can have on your skin and why it’s important to take care of your skin’s appearance.
- Under-eye bags: Stress can keep you up at night, which can result in you not getting enough sleep. This can cause fluid to pool under your lower eyelid which ends up looking puffy in the morning. This can get worse for people who sleep on their stomach as gravity.
- Scarring: People convey nervous behaviour when they’re stressed e.g. biting nails. which can cause skin problems.
- Flaky skin: When you’re stressed it’s easy to forget to keep to your daily water intake. You’re more likely to grab a coffee or fizzy drink which will leave your skin dehydrated. If your skin doesn’t get the proper hydration it needs, you skin will appear dry and flaky.
- Fine lines: When you’re stressed you can increase facial expressions due to your mood. Making certain expressions like frowning or pursing your lips, can lead to deeper wrinkles in those areas over time.
- Rashes: Rashes appearing on your skin can be caused by the imbalance of good and bad bacteria in your gut. When stressed, bad bacteria can outweigh good bacteria in your gut which then appears as problems on your skin.
- Flushed face: When you’re feeling stressed you can become short of breath. This can lead to visible problems such as redness on your face.
- Acne: Stress can lead to your skin becoming problematic and flaring up with acne, eczema or psoriasis. Stress releases a steroid hormone call cortisol which can throw the other hormones in your body off course, resulting in breakouts on your face and body.
At Serenity Health Beauty Wellbeing, we have professional facial spa treatments that will treat your problematic skin to get it back to its best. The specific treatment we recommend will depend on your skin-type and the issue you’d like wanting to fix. We have different facial treatments including, optimal skin facial, skin radiance facial, re-hydrator facial, de-sensitiser facial and skin purifying facial. For stressed looking skin, we would recommend either our optimal skin pro-facial or our skin radiance facial.
Our ESPA optimal skin pro-facial treatment will bring back beautiful, healthy looking skin through tailored facial techniques. This facial is designed to rebalance, hydrate and revitalise your skin, bringing it back to its full potential. This treatment instantly brightens your complexion, protects against damage and delays early, invisible signs of ageing.
All our facials begin with a consultation and an in-depth skin analysis using professional technology to show skin conditions that aren’t visible to the naked eye. Once we have assessed the condition of your skin we will then talk you through which facials we think would be best for your skin type. All facials are tailored to what your skin needs.
If you’d like to know more about our facials please visit our webpage. If you’d like to book a facial consultation please call us on 01394 276223.